A few months ago, I am tuned UP posted a short blurb speculating on whether twenty | one | pilots of Columbus are the next big thing. Well, they are well on their way. Watch the below announcement they’ve just posted for Columbus fans.
Yep, that’s a local band that had sold out the legendary Newport Music Hall, aka the longest operating rock club in America, a MONTH before the show. The show has been moved to the larger LC Pavilion. That puts a local band in the same ranks as Fun., Foster the People, and Owl City.
Now you might be thinking “wait a minute, this blog doesn’t report on any old music band news…” Well that’s right. We don’t. There are literally hundreds of sites out there that copy/paste press releases or report every blurb on a band’s van breaking down, a break-up, a b-side release, and on and on. I am tuned UP doesn’t do that. We stick to industry defining news and reviews with an emphasis on upcoming bands. Yes, we think twenty | one | pilots is an industry defining band. Consider the following:
- The band blends the genres of hop hop, electronica, and rock seamlessly
- They accomplish a big sound and a highly hyped live performance with two people
- They’ve already released two LPs and a smattering of singles as an unsigned band
- They’ve landed spots opening for Jack’s Mannequin and toured with Cobra Starship
- Last but not least, as mentioned before – they’ve accomplished the rare feat of selling out a major venue in Columbus on multiple occasions
- They’ve accomplished all this in the years since graduating from high school in 2008
Rumors are flying about where this band is headed. Some say they’ve signed a major record deal and they’re keeping it under wraps. Some say they are on the verge of a major national tour. Whatever the case, I am tuned UP will be present at their April 28th hometown show and will be presenting a full report in the following week. Stay tuned…
UPDATE: THE CONCERT REVIEW IS UP – CHECK IT OUT!